View Single Post
Old 26-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #32
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
this has to be one of the better ones from you Rick.
Unnecessary sarcasm noted.
Quote:
If some uninsured bastard crashes into my car or house or anything... then they will be in a world of hurt
Why, Because they will have to pay for damages, so what.
Quote:
If you cannot afford to insure your car with at least third party property then get the hell off the roads.
I think you assume that most (all?) people who don't have insurance, can't afford it. I think you may find that not be the case.
Quote:
Your mate is a fool..
Actually he's not, and you wouldn't say that to him in person if you knew him.
He's a very successful person and is doing very well in life, though far from 'rich', he has several cars, and several motorbikes, owns his own home and has a fair amount invested in shares.
He's also one of the more intelligent people I know.
Quote:
it's his choice and I hope he never has to find out just how stupid it is. He better have a lot of money saved.... if he hits something expensive or even better, something else insured, he better get used to cuddling Bubba.
I'm sure he has enough saved, though more to the point, he's not the sort of person who trys to welch out of responsibilities. If it's his fault, he'll accept that and suffer the consequences.

Why would going to jail have anything to do with not being insured?
Quote:
I hate paying for insurance which I may not need but I would never go without it. I's amazing how much of a tightarse people can be.
Tight **** is definitely the right word for him, but again, it's not due to a lack of funds, quite the contrary.

His view is that all the money he's saved over the years by not paying for cover is enough to cover most if any accidents.
And I guess whatever he can't afford at the time, he will borrow from a bank, which the repayments would then be much the same as if he had insurance for all of his vehicles.

He has 3 motorbikes, and 2 cars (one being a euro sports), he doesn't have house insurance, medical insurance, or any other insurance.
I suspect he has saved a lot of money.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was initially saying.

I feel that it is peoples choice, and I certainly don't critisise someone for not being insured. I personally have motor vehicle insurance, though only third party property damage on my bikes and cars, though I do have full comp on the BA because it's leased.

However I most certainly see the logic in my friends views, and I respect his decision based on his situation.

Rick.